The Pleasure Notes Blog is home to tips and tools for recalibrating your life. I created it in 2008, when I was in a dark period of my own life and needed a loving shove off the “glass half empty” boat. I knew there was a better way to view the world and I wanted in on that perspective.
I had become dear friends with an exceptional soul who instinctively knew the secret to tapping into and honoring the full spectrum of life’s pleasures; I wanted whatever magic pill she’d swallowed. In an attempt to give me a clue, she invited me on a road trip through Ireland. It was a laughter-filled adventure. But on the last day of our tour, as we were wandering through Dublin’s cobblestone streets, she tripped over a curb and sprained her ankle. Five days later, she was dead – a blood clot had traveled from her injured leg and exploded her phenomenal heart.
I discovered a whole new level of despair and I’d lost the best guide I’d ever met. I would have to get myself out of a darkness so black I could see nothing, even with my eyes wide open.
So I did.
And in the process, I discovered a few things:
- millions of people are too overwhelmed by their own dark caves to get out of them, regardless of their cause;
- most people already have the tool kit they need to get out of their caves, they just can’t see it and don’t know how to use what’s inside;
- the key to feeling ALIVE – joyful, fulfilled, necessary – is allowing yourself to be truly SEEN;
- the more you’re willing to allow the full spectrum of PLEASURE into your life – not just the sexual kind (though that’s awesome too!), the easier it is to reveal your authentic self and be truly seen.
Pleasure Notes is where I help you learn to expand the spectrum of pleasure you embrace in your life. You’ll be inspired. You’ll get ideas for how to implement changes in behavior and perspective. And you’ll learn tips that have worked for me, to create a remarkable, exuberant, regret-free life.
In 2012, I launched Noted Living. Basically, it’s the big tool kit that holds all the components to help you create the kick-ass life – both business and personal – that you want and deserve.
What’s in the Noted Living tool kit?
- The Pleasure Notes Blog: a freely shared collection of my notes to you.
- Noted Design: a jewelry collection of one-of-a-kind and limited edition necklaces and earrings I’ve created to help you reveal yourself through your accessories.
- One-on-One Consulting: individually tailored one-hour sessions to help you rediscover your own tool kit and start using what’s inside. (currently on summer holiday)
- and so much more to come!
I’m Emily Lewis. I want to change the world.
I’m a romantic at heart – passionate, curious and empathetic. I’m honest, which some people call blunt. I’m a series of contradictions. And I curse, with pleasure.
I love trees and tigers, and believe both should be around for many more generations. I take great joy in helping women (and men) empower themselves. I also take great joy in exploring the world to take note of the stunning beauty in its details, both man- and nature-made.
I’ve walked away from 20 careers in 20 years.
I’ve excavated the building Aristotle taught from in Athens, Greece AND I’ve taught English in Brazil.
I’ve worked for an arms dealer who supplied arsenals to foreign military establishments AND I’ve managed finances for a multi-million dollar philanthropic initiative.
I’ve taught social media strategy to senior executives at a leading film and TV studio AND I’ve provided social research analysis to IMF and the World Bank.
I’ve written for an Emmy-award winning TV series AND I’ve founded a theater company.
I’ve made multi-million dollar marketing recommendations to leading multi-national corporations AND I’ve done marketing for a sex toy company.
I’ve been financially flush with cash enough to eat out every meal and travel every weekend AND I’ve been flat-out broke with debt up to my eyeballs.
I’ve mingled with ambassadors and A-list celebrities AND I’ve hung out with the poorest of the poor.
None of it was enough.
None of it stopped the hamster wheel in my head (or at least not for very long) that kept me spinning and searching for that ONE THING that would make me feel want I wanted to feel:
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE ALIVE!
And then, through a lot of hard work, introspection and guidance from amazing teachers, I discovered I was just looking in all the wrong places. I’ve learned something of value from every single job and life experience I’ve ever had, no matter how sexy or mundane the gig.
I now live a GREAT BALLS OF FIRE kind of life. And I would LOVE to help you discover your own.